Monday, March 12, 2007

"Attorney bitten by shark"

Well, here.

This bothers me, "Attorney bitten by shark." Ha ha, that's awesomely funny, an attorney's called a shark and he's bitten by a shark while surfing -- comedy gold. Have we decided where to draw the line marking how badly someone can be injured before we can't make a weak punny headline making fun of his profession?

And don't tell me they just added his profession for color, like they'd say he was a "Miniature-golf-course club pro bitten by shark while surfing."

I doubt if he was eaten, the headline would say, "Attorney eaten by shark." It would probably say, "Man eaten by shark."

What if he just got his entire arm ripped off? The man can still sue and object and all that other slimy lawyer stuff with one arm, can't he? I think we've got plenty of leeway to make fun of his job. Hur hur, maybe he'll sue the shark for damages, bwaha!

I used to be a pretty flip headline-writer, not taking anything into consideration other than whether or not a headline gave me a chuckle, but that was back in college. It pisses me off to see this amateur crap get put up on CNN.com, although with the mindboggling amount of coverage they've given Anna Nicole Smith, I'm less surprised than I otherwise would have been.

2 Comments:

At 5:31 PM, Blogger BookBabe said...

Well, our hometown paper - the one where you got your start in the newspaper business - has such stellar headlines as "Suspect accused of crime" - not those words exactly, but pretty damned generic, nonetheless. The temptation is sometimes so, so difficult to withstand, isn't it?

 
At 9:29 AM, Blogger BookBabe said...

Just so you know, the link to the attorney/shark story doesn't work and I'm dying to read it.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home