Wednesday, January 10, 2007

Being sick = no longer cool

I'm sick. I have a moderate, persistent cold that seems to have strengthened in one symptom or another each day since Friday. Today I woke up and knew I'd be too sneezy and nasty for my co-workers to tolerate. I had things to do that I couldn't really cancel, even after cancelling some other things, and I'd prefer to save my sick days to bolster my scant vacation time, so I worked from home after briefly stopping in to grab my Rolodex, etc.

When I was a kid, having a cold often meant a wonderful holiday from school.

When I was in college, I didn't need any excuse at all to skip class, so being sick was an annoying impediment to my scattershot social calendar.

When I was one of several editors at a newspaper, my duties arose and were completed each day of work -- the nature of the job -- so I could call in sick and know that someone else could handle it, since nothing could have been planned ahead or started already. Being sick returned to coolness. (What a clunky paragraph. But cut me some slack, I'm sick.)

Now, as a reporter, I often have to make my own work instead of picking apart someone else's, and many of my tasks can't be pawned off on my colleagues. Can't skip work, so being sick sucks.

If a blogger taps out a post and knows no one cares to hear it, does he make a sound? Indeed, and that sound, coming from his mouth, is: "Thpbpbpbpb!"

Eagles on Saturday. I'll be wearing my helmet.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home