Sunday, May 21, 2006

Kowboys -- I can't quit them

Sat at a very aggressive NL table today for four hours. I won maybe five or six pots and showed down only twice. Here are those two hands.

1) 88. I'm first to act preflop behind a $4 straddle, and I raise to $15. The player next to me calls, as does the straddler. The straddler checks in the dark before the flop comes down.

Flop: As Ts 3h. Pot $48.

I check. Guy behind bets $10, and both of us call. The bettor and the straddler had very loose starting requirements. Another possibility was...

Turn: 8s. Pot $78.

Straddler checks. I take about five seconds before acting. I figure the flop bettor would've bet a little more on the flop to get a free card on the turn if he had a flush draw. I bet $30, looking to reraise if he raises. He calls, and the straddler folds.

River: a blank. I bet $50, he says, "Alright, I'll give you $50," and calls. He sees the set and says he had AT, top two pair on the flop, but he does not show it. He does say, "I should have bet more." Amen.

So that hand wasn't anything special. I raised with the best hand preflop, thought there was an average chance I still had it on the flop, and didn't outthink myself when I turned trips. By the way, I welcome critiques of how I played these hands. Here's the more fun one:

2) KK. Yup, I got 'em again, in middle position. One limper in front, I raise to $15 and get FIVE callers -- four behind plus the limper. Yikes; visions of straightable and flushable boards haunt me already. Until...

Flop: K88, two hearts. Pot of $93.

I'm over the moon. This is the first time in four sessions at the boat that I have flopped a made hand, a full house. It's not the nuts, but if someone has 88, good for him, he'll be taking all my money.

I have a stack of about $330, most others have $300 or $400 and the limper has $135 left. He bets $20, and I do the only sensible thing: I look nervous and call. To my dismay, only one player behind me calls. Come on guys! It's only twenty freakin dollars.

Turn: a black 6. Pot of $153.

The limper has $115 left and he bets $110 of it. I take a good minute to look him over for theater's sake, hoping somehow to induce the guy behind me to think he's up against two bluffers or something, I don't know. I was really hoping to string the guy behind me along, but there's no chance of that now. I call, and the other guy folds. The limper looks puzzled, and he looks downright demoralized at the...

River: the last K. Pot of $373. I have made four of a kind for the first time at a live table, though I've hit a couple straight flushes before and about a dozen instances of quads online.

He bets his last $5 and I call. He says, "Your king is good," as he flips 98, having hit three of a kind on the flop, the poor bastard. For a split second I consider doing one of two things:
a) only showing one king;
b) saying, "Which one?" as I show both.

But I'm not that kind of player, so I just flip the KK and let everyone else hoot and holler and marvel. I tip the dealer $3 and take down a $380 pot, a profit of $230.

So I've got some kind of thing going with KK. That would be more surprising if I weren't playing very, very tight at these tables, but it's crazy anyway.

After getting a rare bluff picked off by another guy's monster hand (that he showed me after I folded), I leave up $171 for the day and $811 for the weekend. Had some fun and met some people.

More importantly, we might be starting a softball team at work and joining a league! That'd be awesome.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home